Microsoft has finally announced the Xbox Live titles that will be available on Windows Phone 7, and according long time Microsoft watcher Mary-Jo Foley, the company has said that games will be front and center for the Windows 7 platform. Marrying the successful XBOX franchise to Windows Phone is clearly an attempt to counter the success that Apple has had with games on iPhone. It helps that the games look pretty cool too.
Provided the XBOX experience doesn’t interfere with business use of the phone (Microsoft’s traditional franchise), it’s a strategy that might work. Tens of millions of XBOX’s have been sold, and Microsoft has a devoted and hardcore fanbase who might flock to Windows Phone 7 as a result.
If successful, expect to see competitors in the smartphone space quickly form alliances with Sony and Nintendo, the other two giants of the gaming space. RIM? Nokia? Or perhaps Google has a play with Android?
What do you think?
Related articles by Zemanta
- Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 7 games (telegraph.co.uk)
- Windows Phone 7 to Have Xbox Live at Launch (jkontherun.com)
- Microsoft Shows Off WINDOWS PHONE 7 Launch Games (geektyrant.com)
- Microsoft links new smart phones to Xbox Live (independent.co.uk)
- Microsoft links new smart phones to Xbox Live (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Big list of Xbox Live games for Windows Phone 7 launch (techflash.com)