BlackBerry 10 Jam rocked, because of you!

by alec on May 7, 2012

Last week was a whirlwind for BlackBerry developers.  BlackBerry 10 Jam was the official launch of the BlackBerry 10 platform to the developer community – SDK’s, tools, and of course the BlackBerry 10 Alpha device.

This was a moment we’d been working toward since before DevCon Americas in the fall.  I know there was a lot of pressure to show a phone last fall, but until the SDK’s were ready, and developers could actually use them, there would have been little point.  Instead we steadily built first the PlayBook OS 1.0 SDK, the PlayBook OS 2.0 SDK, and the PlayBook OS 2.0 software release, knowing full well that these releases, accompanied by the over 20,000 playbooks we had seeded into the market, would be a good foundation for the next phase – the actual BlackBerry 10 devices.

The excitement in the air was palpable. Folks started lining up at 7 AM on Wednesday morning to get the first Dev Alpha devices. And by noon, I couldn’t walk the hallways of the show without someone stopping to show me the code they had been working on.

Since then there has been great coverage (checkout the BlackBerry Developer Blog) we’ve been bombarded by requests for Dev Alpha devices from developers who didn’t make the show.  The good news?  We’re going to take the show on the road – so come jam with us in a city near you, and pick up your own Dev Alpha device at the same time.  Check out the BlackBerry Jam Road Show page for more info.

A couple of thank you’s are in order.  Thank you to the developers who came to the BlackBerry 10 Jam last week – you’re investing your energy, time, and money in making not just your own products successful, but ours as well.  Also a very public thank you to all the teams at RIM who have worked for months to pull the BlackBerry 10 Jam off – the developers, product managers, marketing, and of course our very own developer relations group.  Thank you!

Now go code something!  We’ve got a monster of a product to ship together!

Enhanced by Zemanta

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Jakub Nietrzeba May 7, 2012 at 7:18 am

Good news! I will book my place at roadshow in Warsaw as soon as it will be possible.

@sucroid May 7, 2012 at 9:01 am

I am telling all my friends about the roadshow. RIM, you have just got a few more devs on board!

PBUser May 7, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Alec, I was trying to follow what is your take about Skype, Netflix and Amazon kindle apps for PB. Cant it be home developed similar to facebook app in PB if they cannot deliver(because of some conspiracy). All the API's are available online for building those apps in their respective developer site. Using cascades, it will be matter of weeks to build it. I dont want to see any point against BB10 on it's launch. This is a huge selling point though it contradicts with some of the existing home grown PB apps. It looks like you have almost 1 lakh apps in app world now, which is a big selling point, now it is time to bring those apps which users seems to really care about. I dont use any of those in my android, but people criticize my PB for that. Thanks and good luck!

PBUser May 7, 2012 at 2:30 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-15869683 – are you guys doing anything to stop this. RIM is a big time victim. Better do it now , than later. Good luck!

John Reid May 7, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Alec, thank you so much for being forthcoming with the news about Alpha Dev devices being shipped out. I appreciate your coy response last week about 'looking into it' when I asked about those unable to make BB10 Jam.

Are there limited places? I had a spot booked for BB10 Jam but couldn't make it and I don't want to miss out on the London event. I'd be gutted I missed out again simply because of overcrowding :)

chris May 7, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Hi Alec,

Congrats on the great conference. I had my tickets to Jam, but couldn’t make it at the last minute and was forced to read the updates with envy.

While I would love to go to one of the road show locations in NAM, I don’t live anywhere near any of them, as I live in the West. Is there any way to get the Dev Alpha anyway? I could pay for shipping if that would help.

Again, congratulation

MGU May 8, 2012 at 2:49 am

With you, Alec, RIM can't lose. Love, your unbiased, Dad

Joe May 14, 2012 at 3:22 pm

perhaps someone can solve this dilemma. http://www.starbucks.com/coffeehouse/mobile-apps/

@CantechLetter June 17, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Alec, I'd like to see a visual representation of new BlackBerry developer signups and added apps. I think a kind of single glance visual would help a lot of people see the progress being made. -Nick

Telanalysis June 18, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Good article. I am so glade that BlackBerry is not calling it quits. They are the best for business telecommunications. The connection abilities are so nice for people in IT.

SickOfWaiting June 22, 2012 at 9:19 am

Hi, when is Blackberry 10 coming? Like a FIRM DATE? Is there still no date? Is it even coming?

Frank George June 29, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Dear Alec,

A week ago I would have been writing to you to insist that the boot-up time for BB10 on the Dev Alpha device (as on the playbook) must be addressed. Imagine the first un-boxing video on Engadget, then understand how that sets the tone.
I would also have pleaded that RIM make BB10 and the hardware distinguish itself from the competition by offering stellar battery performance. 48hrs when others barely make 24hrs.

BUT since last night none of that matters. And i'm genuinely sad to say that.

How is it possible that BB10 has gotten postponed once again?
Who in their right mind does anyone at RIM actually believe that existing customers will sit around waiting for BB10 when all the other eco-systems are constantly evolving and gaining market share?(compounding the isue, the iPhone5 will be out by then)
And with so many firings who is left to ensure that BB10 delivers?

We're a development team and we've recognised the robustness of BBs many years ago, but the last 2-3 years the maintenance of the old OSs has been so poor it's penalised us for continuing to service and support RIM devices. The deterioation in battery too has been eye-opening. And the whole idea that RIM believed marketing the fastest Blackberry…the best Blackberry browser experience ever was justified, was to fail to understand why Apple could get away with the same claims of the best iPhone ever. BECAUSE the user experience had set the industry standard (btw developing is no picnic, they can't handle multi-tasking and battery life sucks, but it's all to ensure the UX is good).

So, how could you and RIM have told us developers for the last few months how close things were, to have gotten us this excited and then to wait for a Qrtly earnings call to to bitterly disappoint the only community that will in the end make BB10 sing?

If RIM, and this includes you, had recognised the market opportunity that is building a parallel Android store where every app submitted would have gotten a thorough security and code check, than you could have owned Android for the enterprise. Building on RIMs reputation for security and understanding the needs of enterprise. After all Amazon have shown you can fork the code and set up an entire eco-system. While Cisco failed with their Android enterprise offering and were massively out of their comfort zone, they did spot the market opening.

The Android market is it's own worst enemy (calling it a cesspool sounded like envy), but it is also littered with great developers and even better apps. yes there it's a fractured OS with many screen formats to deal with, but hell so is BB and the RIM developer tools were until very recently a disaster to work with. Most important was the missed opportunity to own a niche in Android that no one has conquered yet.

Asking developers to wait till next year to monetise their efforts to make BB10 competitive is just too much. It's such a huge shame as QNXs ability to first run Android (even though you restricted it being fully functional!) and more recently an iOS port is testament to the robustness of QNX.

Pride and prejudice is looking like it will cost RIM dearly. Maybe even fatally. Such a shame.
Sincerely
Frank George

Daryl VoIP Bradenton August 27, 2012 at 10:09 am

Looking forward to BlackBerry 10 Jam Vancouver tomorrow! Should prove to be very exciting.

Free Encrypted Voip October 3, 2012 at 8:20 am

Blackberry is launching BlackBerry 10 platform. Thats very good new we have got. Thanks for sharing such an upcoming news. Because of our technological inovation we will daily got a news that updated version of balckberry, iphone and android is going to be launched with too many functionalit