Post image for Try Something New Today!

Try Something New Today!

by alec on January 9, 2012

I’m in Las Vegas for CES.  I’ve been coming here for industry events for 25 years now.  Yesterday, however, I did something I had never done in all that time.  I rented a car, and drove out of the city to see what else Nevada had to offer besides gambling, hotels, and shows.

An hours drive north led me to the Valley of Fire State Park, where I took in the sunset, and the rising of the moon over Lake Mead to the east.  It was stunning.  I’ll go back there again, just to see the rock formations along the 20 mile scenic route through the park.

So, what does that have to do with anything?

If you’re a mobile developer, I’d encourage you to try something new today.  Take another look at BlackBerry development.  Our HTML 5 development platform, including the WebWorks framework, and the Ripple simulator, are great.  Developing on the Playbook platform is getting easier all the time too, as we bring more open source, and more development partners to the platform.   And there’s a great opportunity in building apps for BlackBerry.

So go ahead.  Give it a shot.  Try something new.

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

LeAnne January 9, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Themebuilder 7 would be very helpful for developing Themes for OS 7. We have many customers awaiting our Themes and all we can inform them is that, like them, we are twiddling our thumbs while waiting on RIM to release the development software for OS 7–A release date still yet to be announced despite the OS7 new device marketing last fall.

I just read this article http://business.financialpost.com/2012/01/08/rims

I’m quite flabbergasted at the fact that you’ve given no attention to current (as in, still remaining) Blackberry developers. Connections with existing developers are also needed, before they jump ship and are added to your long “Reconnecting” list. We’ve already established our second company to do just that.

asaunders January 9, 2012 at 3:48 pm

LeAnne, Themebuilder 7 is under development right now. As soon as it's ready we'll release it.

I don't think it's correct that we've given no attention to existing developers. A large part of my team, and every day, is devoted to existing developers. We work hard to help them with the issues they face, as well as provide opportunities for them to move their applications onto PlayBook and BlackBerry 10.

Gopal January 12, 2012 at 2:03 am

I head an Engineering Technology group and have historically shunned Blackberry, that is until I got my hands on a BB Playbook. What an awesome device. My admiration and respect for RIM's Engineering prowess came about after my fortuitous rendezvous with the Playbook. If the BB10 devices are able to generate a similar experience as that of the Playbook, I see considerable momentum for your upcoming wares.

However, I am concerned for you guys. Despite great innovations from your Engineering team's, I see considerable and unfair deriding of your platform by FANBOYS of competing platforms. This may be related to social media campaigns waged against you by your competitors. For the consumers sake I am hoping that you are doing something about it.

I am a strong proponent of HTML5 and your WebWorks Toolkit with the Ripple Emulator is very appealing and I would like to start developing for your platform after watching what you have in store for us in Tablet OS 2.0.

Being a long-time resident of Vegas, I am glad you were able to appreciate the natural beauty of Southern Nevada. Valley Fire is great and near by Southern Utah is quite awesome as well with great Sking and hiking venues.

Yes indeed! good software takes time. The instant gratification generation needs to learn to yearn for a good thing!!

Jonathan Tonge January 25, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Hey Alec,

I documented my initial experience with WebWorks. It's a great platform and a big move forward. However I had a few issues here and there. Almost all of these issues are easily corrected.

I'm in Southern Ontario. If you'd like my notes or would like to me to do a user experience walk-through with one of your analysts it would be a pleasure.

Great job by the way. Great company, great talent. PlayBook is awesome. Find me on LinkedIn.

Beto – phone chat February 3, 2012 at 9:53 am

I have been a fan of BB since its release. One of the BB apps that i like is the Mobile Hotspot where you can turn on Wi-fi hotspots nearby and allow you to connect to 5 wi-fi sources! I am not a trchy person but the BB Playbook is really fantastic!

Robert B July 23, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Where is theme builder 7 already??? How much longer??? Is this gonna be the same crap when BB10 is released… Come on guys!!! Like really!