Gizmo5 + Google Voice = free phone service

Sunday morning the new Gizmo5/Google Voice mashup debuted. Out in beta, it lets you make a phone call, via Wifi/Gizmo5, using your Google Voice account. This new capability is in addition to Google Voice’s existing ability to route an incoming call to your Gizmo5 account. In the US, that means that starting now, if you are a user of both these services, then all of calls, if made or received on a PC or a handset running a WiFi SIP client, whether long distance or local, cost nothing. Outside the US, it means that they’re at least really really cheap.   Andy Abramson pointed me to it, and truth be told, for a guy like Andy this is huge.

Setting up the link is simple.  Visit the Gizmo5 settings page, select “Use for all calls”, or “Use for U.S. calls only” in the dashboard page, and you’re done.

image

On the Google Voice side, simply add a new “Gizmo” phone.

image

I tried it out with Andy on Sunday morning.

Calls made to my Google Voice number rang through on the existing mobile and fixed line handsets that I have, as well as on the Gizmo5 client on my PC and on the Gizmo 5 client on my Nokia N-series handsets.

I have no credit in my Gizmo5 account at the moment, and only $.10 credit in my Google Voice account on Sunday morning.  However, calls made via Gizmo5 to US destinations rang through on the US destinations with no trouble, transported by Google Voice.

Calls made with the iSip client on iPhone rang through Gizmo then Google Voice and on to their final destination.  Again, no charge.

It worked perfectly, and were I living in the United States, it would be absolutely free phone service – a free dial in number, free long distance, free voice mail, free call screening and so on.  Outside the US it’s still useful and very competitive.  Google Voice’s long distance rates are in many cases slightly better than even Gizmo’s, so it represents a savings to the customer.  More to the point, however, in this increasingly flat world, it is an opportunity for any individual or business to be reachable from North America at no cost.

Once again, Gizmo5 owner and maverick Michael Robertson is turning accepted business models upside down.  In allying with Google he is providing undeniable customer benefit.  However, it’s at the expense of nearly all of Gizmo5’s revenue generating services such as long distance and call-in numbers, which are now provided at no charge by Google.  We’ll have to wait and see what he does next.

• Markus Göbel&#0 July 28, 2009, 6:50 am

Oh yes.

After months of VoIP boredom Gizmo5 gave me something new to tinker with. I made sucessful phone calls from my desk phone to the US and to Germany. They went via Gizmo5 and Google Voice. The call to Germany cost $0.02 per minute and the call to my US number from Truphone was free. The sound quality was great and Gizmo5 transmitted my Google Voice number as caller ID. Great!

So, whom do I call now in the US? 😉

• Aswath Rao July 28, 2009, 7:25 am

I hope GV and Gizmo can have a way to authenticate without requiring me to give my Google credentials to Gizmo

• Markus Göbel&#0 July 28, 2009, 8:19 am

OAuth, like Cellity and others are using.

• Markus Göbel's Tech News Comments July 28, 2009, 10:50 am

Oh yes.

So, whom do I call now in the US? 😉

• Aswath Rao July 28, 2009, 11:25 am

• Markus Göbel's Tech News Comments July 28, 2009, 12:19 pm

OAuth, like Cellity and others are using.

• Alec July 28, 2009, 12:59 pm

I was a bit surprised that they weren’t actually, Markus. However, Google doesn’t seem to be jumping on that bandwagon. They’re encouraging you to get a Google ID and use it. More lock-in!

• Alec July 28, 2009, 12:59 pm

• Stuart Henshall July 29, 2009, 5:56 pm

Alec, as of today calls are limited to 3 minutes. I don't think this was a Gizmo + Google initiative. Looks like Gizmo were paying the bills. Google should just open for SIP if they are serious. Then that's been said before years ago. I'd actually pay to connect / use Google Voice for landline calls. Just like I do on Skype. It's a dollar game I know. It's the quickest way forward for Google Voice.

• Stuart Henshall July 29, 2009, 9:56 pm

Alec, as of today calls are limited to 3 minutes. I don’t think this was a Gizmo + Google initiative. Looks like Gizmo were paying the bills. Google should just open for SIP if they are serious. Then that’s been said before years ago. I’d actually pay to connect / use Google Voice for landline calls. Just like I do on Skype. It’s a dollar game I know. It’s the quickest way forward for Google Voice.

• PaulSweeney July 30, 2009, 6:15 am

Alec, I presume you have to have a google voice account to do this? I am still waiting on an invite to that service (and to wave), the joy of living on the "wrong west coast" I presume :)

• Alec July 30, 2009, 10:41 am

Indeed you do. I had one from the Grand Central days.

• PaulSweeney July 30, 2009, 10:15 am

Alec, I presume you have to have a google voice account to do this? I am still waiting on an invite to that service (and to wave), the joy of living on the “wrong west coast” I presume :)

• Alec July 30, 2009, 6:41 am

Indeed you do. I had one from the Grand Central days.

• andy November 15, 2009, 5:38 am

Google has just acquired Gizmo5

But the temptation to think this means a big strategic move by Google is rather reined back by the facts that they've closed Gizmo5 to new entrants, and that Google Voice is still limited in new sign-ups, US only and invitation only

• andy November 15, 2009, 9:38 am

Google has just acquired Gizmo5

But the temptation to think this means a big strategic move by Google is rather reined back by the facts that they’ve closed Gizmo5 to new entrants, and that Google Voice is still limited in new sign-ups, US only and invitation only

• Deironald December 11, 2009, 7:31 pm

Google and gizmo integration is a boon to the people of America. They can get a free home phone service without paying a penny. How many countries can do this?. I am one of the guys who benefitted from this integration. I have a free phone service at home after following the instructions given on http://www.exoticpages.info. It has unlimited incoming calls duration. Best of all I don’t have to keep my computer on, I just have to connect the ATA adapter to the broadband modem. I also save a lot on my cell phone minutes now a days.

• Deironald December 11, 2009, 7:31 pm