For a couple of weeks I’ve been playing with a new version of one of my favorite mobile apps – Truphone. Publicly available today, Truphone 3.0 for iPhone sports a new UI plus integration with Skype. That’s right, you can make and receive Skype calls via Truphone. Now, with Truphone, you can:
- Make free WiFi calls to other Truphone users, Skype and Google Talk users.
- Send free IM messages over WiFi to Skype, MSN Messenger, Google Talk, Yahoo! Messenger and AOL users.
- Send IM messages over 3G to all of the above as well.
- Send and receive Twitter messages.
- Make long distance calls to landlines and mobile users globally, at local calling rates.
Truphone 3.0 truly is the “Swiss Army Knife” of mobile apps.
In one of the smartest moves they’ve made yet, Truphone has made managing your account and topping up prepaid credits from within the application dead simple. My top-ups are set to fire automatically whenever the balance on the account drops below a certain limit. I always know how much money is in my account, and never worry about running out.
Perhaps the best part about Truphone is the savings, however. I use Truphone to save hundreds of dollars per month here in Canada. I dropped the US long distance plan from my Rogers iPhone account, and simply make calls to the United States over the Truphone Anywhere local access number here in Ottawa. With Truphone Anywhere, every international call I make is… a local call.
If you need a quality, money-saving, all-in-one communications solution on iPhone, then you owe it to yourself to check out Truphone 3.0.