Windows 7 Beta not here yet. Doh!

I was up at 5 AM this morning to check and see if the download of the Windows 7 beta was available yet.  A more careful read of the Windows 7 blog site shows that the download won’t be available until this afternoon.  Pacific time!  That’ll be Miller Time here on the east coast.

This despite Sam Diaz’ caution.  Diaz is spreading a little FUD that because the beta runs out in August you’re going to be stuck downgrading to your previous OS and lose your precious data in the process.  Not once in Microsoft’s history have they left beta users high and dry in that way.  Not once.

The other interesting meme spreading is that Microsoft has given up on Windows Vista.  Even CNN has picked up on the story!  Maybe they have, or maybe they haven’t.  From where I sit, running Windows Vista on every PC I own (except the HP Mini, and an old laptop running Ubuntu) Vista is pretty darn good now.  I’m not sure why they’d “abandon” it.  More to the point, perhaps, is that Windows 7 looks like a return to the good old days of timely OS updates.  Windows XP to Vista took over 5 years, but most prior updates were on an 18 to 30 month cycle.

To me, this looks like the rebirth of the Windows marketing machine, which has been somnolent for some time.  Frankly, that’s a good thing.

Now where can I get one of those cool “I’m a PC” stickers that are in the “Windows guru” videos?

• Ted January 9, 2009, 7:14 am

Miller Time? Really? In Canada?

• Joe Griffin January 10, 2009, 10:38 am

Pardon my bluntness my friends, but if you download windows 7 you are a fool.

These are the same con-artists that swore that vista was the end all to be all and later tried some cock-a-many scheme to rename it amigo or some such garbage.

Windows 7, in my educated opinion, is nothing more than Vista repackaged with service pack 2 and now 3. Dont waste your money. Type in the words vista sucks in Google and get an idea of what experienced windows users feel about this absolute sham. Do not get ripped off again.

Linux offers a great and free operating system which has become quite impressive with its full features of firefox browser and many many open source programs. It is also now compatible with almost all of your favorite programs. Windows and Microsoft have ripped off enough of the public by now. Do not fall for this latest scam!

Joe Griffin – a former Microsoft sucker

• Alec January 10, 2009, 10:48 am

Joe —

You're obviously entitled to your opinion. I will tell you that I run Vista, XP, Ubuntu, Windows Home Server, and just about every browser on the market. The only platform I don't own is Macintosh, but I know lots of happy Mac users out there.

IMO, Linux is great. However, even Ubuntu isn't ready for Joe Average.

BTW – I'm typing this from my newly installed Windows 7 machine. So far it's pretty impressive… but more on that later.

• Joe Griffin January 10, 2009, 10:59 am

Good luck Alec, as you can probably tell, I have been quite frustrated in the past. I would love to see msoft actually come out with something impressive, just dont want to get my hopes back up

• andrew January 11, 2009, 8:32 am

i was lucky enough to get Win7 thru msdn.

on my vpc, looks good – i even put on my I’m A PC touque when shoveling snow afterwards

• Alec January 11, 2009, 11:33 am

Yeah Charles, I could have done that, but I didn't. The bittorrent version just seemed like too obvious a honeypot for malware.

• Charles January 11, 2009, 3:24 pm

for someone who is supposed to be a tech expert.. i guess you haven’t heard of bittorrent? Get with the times, it’s been available on bittorrent for almost a week now.

• windows background September 16, 2009, 4:58 pm

windows 7 is the greatest windows OS yet. your article was well written i look forward to reading more of your posts!