Daily SquawkBox to be discontinued.

The format of SquawkBox is changing friends.  I’ll be discontinuing the regular recording of SquawkBox on Friday of this week. The reason is simply that SquawkBox takes a huge effort to do well, and if I can’t do a good job of it, I don’t want to do it at all.

Expect to see the SquawkBox on an intermittent basis from now on.  I’m taking my cue from the eminence grise of multi-party podcasting, Steve Gillmor, who doesn’t necessarily record the Gillmor Gang every day either. As news stories appear, or interesting technology developments occur, we’ll do a show. The show is also always open to guest hosters, and I’m hoping that folks like Carl Ford continue to do their weekly segments.

When I first began recording the SquawkBox it was more as an experiment than anything else, for iotum to learn how a podcaster might use Calliflower to create content.  We’ve learned a huge amount. It’s been a terrific experience, Calliflower has improved dramatically as a conference calling service, and I’ve met many interesting people as part of it.

Thank you all for tuning in and participating over these many months.

• Andrew October 22, 2008, 12:08 pm

I was wondering how you found time to do this everyday. I can barely join a call twice a month, let alone run one daily, I applaud your effort to eat your own dogfood.

• Dan Rockwell October 22, 2008, 12:12 pm

Sorry to see it go but I hear ya on the podcast creation front, that is no easy task. The casual conference call turned podcast is a killer feature of Calliflower and I hope to leverage it as much as I can here at Lextant in making the weekly Design Forty call.

Thanks again for all your efforts Alec, you're a pioneer in your field and I can't wait to see what comes next.

• Jonathan Jensen October 22, 2008, 4:06 pm

Sorry to hear it’s being discontinued but can understand it’s a major commitment. I’ve found it difficult to join on a regular basis. Thank you for providing a great service these past months. Look forward to hearing what will happen in the future.

• PhoneBoy October 22, 2008, 6:32 pm

Alec, I hope you can do it maybe once a week or something. I can understand why you wouldn’t want to do it daily as it *is* a metric ton of work :)

• Sheryl Breuker October 22, 2008, 8:15 pm

WOW! See what happens when we go out of town? You go and change it all up! 😉

Well, Alec, I can’t say I blame you. I think you’re a phenomenal host but it is tons of work, having put one or two together myself. :) Will you at least send notice out when you have a show planned? Or will they be more spontaneous? Love to hear your thoughts.

Take care and talk to you when we get home!

• Jeb Brilliant October 22, 2008, 10:58 pm

Alec,

I'm disappointed but understand. I looked forward to SquawkBox and tried to get on as often as I could, it will be missed. Though I do hope you can host once a week or something along those lines.

• Dan York October 23, 2008, 9:59 am

Alec,

Having guest-hosted for you for several longer periods of time, I *completely* understand and appreciate how much time it takes to do a *daily* podcast and to do it well. The two weeks I did this summer definitely made that clear as doing all the daily pre-production, hosting, post-production and then publication to the web squeezed out pretty much all the time I had for other projects (including my own podcast). It was VERY tough to keep fitting it in.

So I completely understand your decision and while I’ll definitely miss the daily calls (when my schedule allowed me to join), I just want to say thanks for all the time you have taken to keep Squawk Box going for as long as you have. I’ve met some amazing people through this show, learned an incredible amount about new technologies, deepened some existing friendships and made some new friends along the way.

It’s been a great run… thanks for making it possible! And you can count me in as one who will definitely try to participate when the “intermittent” shows appear.

Thanks,