Rogers "Vision" sucks

Rogers Communications Inc.

Image via Wikipedia

Just last week I had a chat with my Rogers rep on the phone. It has become a monthly ritual…. I phone them and ask if I’m paying too much. They tell me whether there are any better new deals available. It’s the only way to make sure I’m not getting raped by Ted “Jolly” Rogers pricing.

What did I learn?

1. the $65/month data plan which I’ve written about previously has gone away. Rogers will still give you 1 G of mobile data, but now they want $100/month. Hello? When the rest of the world has data rates that are plunging like a stone, Jolly Rogers is cranking their rates up. Sure smells like a monopoly to me. Is anyone at Industry Canada paying attention? Needless to say, I chose to stick with my pre-existing $65/month “deal”.
  2. the $7/month “vision plan” which includes a whack of video calling, SMS, internet and email data, access to the Rogers music store, Yahoo and more is available to owners of N95 phones, even if you haven’t bought them from Rogers. It’s not all good news, though. In order to get that $7/month you have to sign up for a three year contract.

“What? But I already own the phone!”

“I’m sorry sir, the contract has nothing to do with the phone.”

I said “No thanks” to their Vision “deal”. I would have done $7/month uncontracted, but there’s no way I’ll be locked into a three year deal with any phone company. At first I was mystified as to why Jolly Rogers would leave $7/month of high margin low usage revenue on the table. They did it because they can. As the only game in town, your only option is to agree to their terms.

Despite the lavish television advertising, video calling is dead on arrival in Canada. It needs an expensive phone, with a long term contract, that few people have and under the current pricing are unlikely to obtain. Thank the pirates on HMS Monopoly at “Jolly” Rogers HQ.

One can only hope that the upcoming Canadian spectrum auction will provide some much needed relief from the current state of affairs.

Zemanta Pixie

• Ian Bell June 4, 2008, 6:59 am

Bravo! I just called last week to discover that the $65/1GB plan has vaporized. I guess it was too succesful?

The rep said they are "probably clearing the way for the iPhone". Whatever that means.

• Kevin Baggs June 4, 2008, 7:51 am

Their customer service "sucks" as well. I recently was in Vancouver for 6 months with my family. I had an old phone that I activated on a month by month contract for my daughter while we were out there. I recently returned and phoned to cancel… only to be told that it was a 3 year contract and I would have to pay $400 to cancel. So now what?? I can get a minimal plan and pay for 3 years, if I cancel and don't pay the $400 they will screw up my credit rating. Who do I call about this scam?

• Alec June 4, 2008, 7:58 am

I'd start by escalating up the ladder inside Rogers, Kevin. The other thing is to call the president of the wireless group and talk directly. I obtained a full refund from AT&T after trying this tactic.

• Nabeel Jafferali June 4, 2008, 3:14 pm

First off, the $65/1GB plan that you have is a PC Card plan. Rogers reps did add these to existing phone plans, but Rogers has now gotten strict about it and it can only be added to a data-only account. Since Rogers (currently) bills PC Card and generic phone data the same, it works for you (and me!).

The $7 unlimited plan will ONLY work with Rogers' phones, i.e. it will not work with your non-Rogers Nokia. Further, even on the Rogers' N95, the $7 plan has some limitation which the unlimited does not cover.

Read the fine print, caveat emptor, etc…

• Nabeel Jafferali June 4, 2008, 3:16 pm

To add to my post above, when I say the $7 plan will not work with your non-Rogers device, I meant you will get charged the pay-per-use rates on that data. Granted, people have been getting away with it for a few months now, but my understanding is Rogers is not far away from completing their implementation of IMEI-specific billing for data usage.

• Alec June 4, 2008, 3:20 pm

I think you're right on that Nabeel. It has been impossible for me to get my N95 to work tethered recently, although it used to work fine.

• Manny December 10, 2008, 8:12 pm

hey….i have the unlimited vision plan $7 dollars,,,,i was just wondering like can i use facebook and all that for as long as i want and not get charged with data usage? like what does "unlimited" to rogers really mean?

• phone contracts September 17, 2009, 3:03 am

Blimmy! and i thought customer service was bad in the UK