Boxbe – the spammy anti-spam tool

image

Boxbe is one of those really appealing ideas that I’ve been wishing for a very long time someone would get right. Boxbe filters incoming mail based on the relationship that you have with the mailer. People who are on the boxbe “guest list” can mail you. People who aren’t are either trapped for you to consider later, or blocked.

Now, I’ve been doing this for some time already with Outlook. I have rules set up that filter mail into a lower priority bucket if the mailer is someone who isn’t in my address book. But the Outlook approach only works in certain circumstances, and doesn’t handle mail from my pop3 and gmail accounts at all. Nevertheless, I’ve found it to be an efficient way to organize email, even with it’s imperfections.

When I received an invitation to try about boxbe this morning, it seemed like my wishes might finally have been answered. However, I can’t recommend it at this point, as I haven’t actually been able to use it yet. The Outlook plug-in will only run on Windows XP (this despite Vista having been in the market for over 18 months now).

And, ironically, the first thing that this anti-spam tool did when I enabled everyone in my address book was… spam my address book.

If you download it, and try it yourself please do let know what your experience is like.

• luca April 20, 2008, 5:21 pm

Received from you… and trashed :-) Not because it was from you, but because it was the 23th I received today… It seems it’s not intelligent enough to realize that I received that invitation from other 22 friends already… Baaaaaaad.

• Jonathan Jensen April 21, 2008, 12:55 am

Ever since I wrecked my Outlook contacts folder with an add-on, I'm wary of anything that interacts directly with my contacts. And anything that 'spams' all my contacts – no way.

• Mum April 21, 2008, 6:33 am

I didn't download it yesterday because I did not have time. I think I will leave it off my "to do" list in view of your experience.

• Alec April 21, 2008, 12:07 pm

Randy — thanks for the response. As I said in the post, I am very hopeful for these kinds of services. Email spam is the scourge of my existance!

• Randy Stewart April 21, 2008, 3:27 pm

Alec-

Sorry you didn’t have the best experience signing up for Boxbe. I’m the product manager of the site and I wanted to address a couple of your points and see if I can answer any questions that you might have.

We import your contacts during sign up and we do ask you to invite your friends. Even thought it makes the service better, you can select to not to invite your friends.

This “social white list” of senders has been our most popular feature as it can greatly expand your list of “good” email addresses and make it easier to use the service.

As for Vista support, we are in a beta period for the plugin. While we’re polishing the plugin, we’re only supporting Windows XP and Outlook 2003. That said, the plugin will ship with Vista and Outlook 2007 support in the next 30 days. I can contact you then if you would like.

Luca – Sorry… we are working on a fix for that today. No one should receive that many invites.

Jonathon – Our sync is only one way. We don’t modify or add to your existing contacts. I’ve had similar problems with contact syncing solutions.

Cheers,
    Randy Stewart
    Boxbe Product Manager
    randy@boxbe-inc.com

• Gerald Lemoine June 25, 2009, 2:36 pm

I tried Boxbe for a short while, but it didn’t block some of the spam. And that spam was addressed specifically to my email address (not like typical spam with hundreds of other emails). I think they were from Boxbe “approved vendors”, even though I turned that feature off.

I have since then deleted Boxbe and I’m getting a lot more spam than I used to get and it’s not the same type I used to get. I think Boxbe sells my email address to advertisers. So now it’s worse than ever.

THANKS BOXBE

• Enrique Gonzalez March 6, 2010, 7:33 am

To unsubscribe from getting boxbe mails go to: https://www.boxbe.com/unsubscribe
    I found this on a blog with similar issue: http://www.ventrino.com/blog/309/2009/06/boxbecom-spam-scam/
    – Enrique Gonzalez

• parvin July 3, 2010, 10:05 am

hi pless help boxbe uninstall

• parvin July 3, 2010, 10:05 am

pliz help to boxbe uninstall

• FredA January 24, 2011, 1:55 pm

I wish to unsubscribe from Boxbe. Just to much trash from this site.
    Can not seem to end getting mail from them. What is going on with
    this . See that others have the same problem.