Here’s my opinion, @1938Media

Loren Feldman doesn’t want my opinion, but he’s going to get it anyway.

For those of you who don’t know Feldman, he’s a producer out of New York City who does a video blog called 1938 Media. He’s sarcastic, crude, and mean; he records video while he’s lying in bed half dressed. Hard to stop watching – like a traffic accident. A real personality.

A few weeks back Feldman took a poke at a good friend of mine, Shel Israel. I happen to like Shel a lot. He’s been a friend for some time, and he coached iotum to a DEMOgod in 2006. His business card reads “nice guy”, and it’s a pretty accurate descriptor. He’s the real deal.

So Loren Feldman is a guy who apparently has a mean streak, and makes videos for a living. He ripped Shel over the first videos that he made for FastCompany.tv as host of his Global Neighborhoods show. And to be truthful, they weren’t professionally made, and it showed. Big deal. This is the web. It’s not TV.

Feldman’s popularity soared, especially after he grabbed the domain ShelIsrael.com and started filming a puppet masquerading as Shel. Shel made some big mistakes in how he handled the situation as well, and after reflection realized that there wasn’t much he could do about it. So he swallowed hard, wrote about it on his blog and decided to put up with it.

The puppet was boring. Feldman’s parody of Shel didn’t work, mostly because he didn’t really know Shel. But in recent weeks it became much better as Feldman invited tech personalities to be “interviewed” by the puppet. In particular, the first interview with Jason Calacanis was riotously funny. I was chatting with a friend last night and saying that if Feldman was smart he could turn the puppet into the tech industry’s equivalent of the Spitting Image.

So what to make of the video below? Does Feldman have a self destructive streak? Or is he just a mean-spirited son-of-a-bitch who has run out of ideas, and can’t parlay what he’s done into new business?

My money’s on the latter, and I’m officially tuning out 1938Media.

• Sheryl Breuker April 17, 2008, 10:07 am

I don't know Loren and only met Shel once. From what I have seen and heard, Loren is mean and nasty. Shel is not. I don't like mean people. I don't see any value in them. I think when people are stupid and have no value they insist on finding a way to put other people in the same light as they are in.

I guess Loren must have had a pretty rough time of it somewhere in his life because it created a hate ridden man who is still trying to make his place in the world and believes his hook is to be nasty. Nasty wears thin after not too long a time. Genuine decency lasts eternally.

I'm glad Loren Feldman doesn't care what I think. I don't want whackaloons paying attention to me.

Great support article, Alec.

• Sheryl Breuker April 17, 2008, 11:32 am

And now I have thought about it I disagree with Loren Feldman's statement that no one matters to him. Clearly Shel Israel does. He sought out his content and felt the need to point out his less than stellar video abilities. So, he isn't truthful. People do matter. He just won't admit it.

• Alec April 17, 2008, 12:04 pm

Absolutely Sheryl. The guy's devoid of any new thoughts so he decides that the best way to draw visibility to himself is to tear someone else down. Shel is the victim he's chosen.

• Ken Camp April 17, 2008, 2:01 pm

You left out boring. He’s not just a mean SOB, he’s a boring guy. I like mean people and have often been called one. I don’t like boring or stupid people. Loren comes across as both. I’d already tuned out, but watched this video only because you posted it.

He’s an asswipe.

• shel israel April 17, 2008, 5:18 pm

I have three words for you, Alec: Thanks. Big Time.

• Ken Camp April 18, 2008, 4:05 pm

You've got plenty of support in this Shel. From my view, it was a blip that caused you pain and has passed. A nothing. For Feldman, it was a blip that sank him off the radar for many. And error in judgment for him, but then again, he doesn't care what any of us think. So he says, loudly and repeatedly as he cries out in desperation for attention.

• Alec April 18, 2008, 11:10 pm

Ken, i aim to keep drawing attention to his pathetic antics. Let’s finish the bastard off once and for all.

• John Timber April 19, 2008, 3:06 am

It is funny watching Loren Feldman suck up to a listers, going to their houses and mooching off of them.

he says he's a professional video blogger for corporations, yet his production ability is slightly better than anyone at the genius bar at an apple store.

He thinks that everyone is laughing with him (well a few of his hyena's are) but the most of us think he's vile and disgusting.