Acer's kickin' M5620 is a steal!

I got myself an early Christmas present last week.  While shopping for a Wii for my kids (and yes I got one — thank you to all the folks who had their eyes out for one for us), I stumbled upon a special that Future Shop was running here in Canada.  They had the Acer Aspire M5620 on sale for $999, or $1099 with a monitor.  The Aspire is an Intel Q6600 Core2-quad machine, with 3G of memory, a dual-head DVI out ATI Radeon HD2600 Pro, and a 500G hard disk.  The monitor that I picked up for an extra $100 is the Samsung Syncmaster 226BW, a beautiful 22" widescreen LCD with 3000:1 contrast ratio and 2ms response time.

I'd been looking at a build-your-own kit from Tiger Direct, because I want to edit high definition video. This prepackaged combo was both cheaper and better than anything I could buy there.

So, what's it like? In a word… fast.  The snapshot below is some copying and web activity, with some background music playing.  It's barely breaking a sweat.  Two of the CPUs have a light load on them, and the other two are idling.  The biggest thing I've noticed is that I don't wait for the PC anymore.  Programs load nearly instantly. The hourglass is non-existant.  Anything that has to do with graphics editing or video rendering has become a pleasure, rather than a pain.

image

Just for grins, I headed over to the Apple Canada web site and configured up a similar Mac Pro

• 2 2Ghz Dual-Core Xeon's (they don't support the Core2 Quad Q6600)
  • 2 G of memory (it was either that or 4G, so I went low)
  • 1 500G hard drive
  • nVidia GeForce 7300 GT 256M
  • Apple 23" Cinema HD Display

The price?  $4003.  The big difference?  Two dual core Xeon's cost about $700 vs $300 for the quad core Q6600.  To balance that, these are 2Ghz processors rather than 2.4Ghz in the Q6600, and this configuration has 1G less memory as well, both of which should knock the price down.  Oh, and my box came configured with Windows Vista Home Premium rather than Leopard.

When all is said and done, you're paying nearly $3000 for Apple's brand.  There's a lesson in that, kiddies!

• Aydin Mirzaee December 21, 2007, 11:12 am

I don't know Mitch… this does sound like a damn good deal! I don't really need another PC, but this is just way too good a deal to pass by :)

Aydin.

• Mitch Brisebois December 21, 2007, 11:33 am

There you go again, Alec…. Priming all the Mac fanboys to come over to saunderslog for some scrapin’!! lol

I am a big Acer fan in the PC world. They’re an undervalued brand in North America. Can’t compare PC to Apples on just a specs basis though!

• Alec December 21, 2007, 7:11 pm

I was stunned by what a great deal it was. 'nuff said.

• George December 25, 2007, 5:25 pm

Just bought it too, dropped by $200 to $799 – although they wanted an extra $229 to get the synchmaster 216BW.

• William January 28, 2008, 1:08 am

Finally, a decent online review of the M5620, besides what I've seen on futureshop.com, that is. I'm purchasing the same model from Costo, which for some reason has 4GB of RAM as opposed to 3 and a 750GB hard drive. (Not bragging!)

I'm quite pleased to hear how fast/powerful the system is and I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks again for the review!

• Alec January 28, 2008, 5:08 am

Enjoy it William. I just bought a second one for my wife. Acer appears to be phasing out the 3G model. The latest ones I've seen at Futureshop come with a whopping 8G.

• Scott February 15, 2008, 7:34 am

I just picked up the M5620 for only 594.00 at CompUSA. Great unit.

• Chris February 25, 2008, 7:29 pm

I just got mine at CompUSA for 594.00 too.

Clearance sales are AWESOME.

• Rick February 25, 2008, 9:32 pm

hey all, i just got the acer m5620-u5208a havn’t used it yet though. it has 3gb ram an ati radeon hd 2400 pro 128mb viiv whatever that is a dialup modem (gag) core2 quad of course for $688.00 tax included. got it at compusa in n. california. oh 500 gb hhd. does anyone know what the second set of numbers are in the model number? i have seen these on line all over the place with small differences in specs. guess i got an ok deal as i can’t take it back as compusa is out of business. thanks for any info. Rick

• rich March 4, 2008, 11:25 pm

i got the same deal for 600 without the monitor.. at compusa .going out of biz sale. btw im looking at a 42 inch screen typing this that i got for 500 bucks as well..later overpayers…. hahahahahaha

• Rick March 10, 2008, 9:21 pm

rich you are a fool!hahahahaha…clownboy

• Dre April 5, 2008, 1:58 pm

I got mine at the COMPUSA in boca raton 2 days before they closed down, and i think i was in the right place at the right time, it was the last one in the box and they sold to me at the same price of the one that was on display, $475.00 i took, paid and ran out of there…. Great computer, too bad it only has 1 PCI-E 16 but for the price i will not complain….