JAJAH on iPhone / iPod Touch

The JAJAH team are back at it again today, with a new version of their application for iPhone and iPod Touch.  They'll be announcing it at noon today.  Too bad we can't get the darn things here in Canada, otherwise I'd tell you how well the app works!

The JAJAH iPhone app comes with the look and feel of the iPhone's dial pad and address book enabling users to make low-cost global calling directly from their Apple iPhone and iPod Touch. You simply point your mobile Safari browser to http://iphone.jajah.com and type in the number you want to call.

Alternatively you can select the name in your JAJAH contacts and click on the number you want to call. JAJAH will call your phone, you pick up, and you will be connected to the desired international number. You can call any phone anywhere in the world (landline or mobile) without the need of an international calling plan – the registration is free, and there is no contract and no monthly fee.

jajah_web_app_iphone_ipod_touch

Neat trick, that is… using the iPod Touch WiFi connection to fire up the JAJAH dial-back on your regular phone.

• Greg Spector December 6, 2007, 8:08 am

Hey Alec – Greg from Rebtel here. Do I understand correctly that before you can make a call you have first have to find a WiFi hotspot?

• Alec December 6, 2007, 8:32 am

Certainly that would be the case on the iPod Touch Greg. It has no data connection other than WiFi.

• Aswath December 6, 2007, 9:00 am

Tom Keating has a post today suggesting that since the Touch does not have a mic, it can not support two way call. In any event, how will Jajah call the Touch, it is not connected to PSTN? Does Jajah supply a VoIP client?

• Frederik Hermann December 6, 2007, 10:26 am

Alec,

thanks a lot for your support! To clarify:

We are providing a neat Web application in the known look&feel of the iPhone and iPod touch UI which allows you to place an ultra-low cost international phone-to-phone call. This is not an end-to-end VoIP application as you don't get access to the microphone through the browser and the iPod touch doesn't have a microphone. This is aligned with our credo to avoid the last mile data connection bottle neck (which is usually the cause of bad voice quality), bridging two phones with a premium voice quality last mile regular PSTN connection over the Internet.

You type in the international number you want to call either through the JAJAH Web app dial pad or by clicking a contact in your JAJAH address book. JAJAH will initiate the known call back to your phone (your iPhone or any phone nearby), you pick up and you will be connected to the desired number at our low international calling rates. If you only have an iPod touch you initiate the call to your actual regular cell phone or a landline nearby, you won't use the iPod touch for the actual call as it is missing the phone piece/microphone.

Thanks and regards,

Frederik

• Alec December 6, 2007, 10:27 am

Neither Aswath… all they've done is allow the Touch to initiate a call back to another phone, I believe. The advantage is that it lets the user take their Jajah anywhere, instead of being tied to a PC.

• Jim Courtney December 6, 2007, 2:40 pm

In a similar way IM+ for Skype (iPhone version) also provides the ability to complete calls via SkypeOut on the iPod Touch connecting your, say, mobile phone to the called party. Again you need to be at a WiFi location; the advantage here is that you can do the Instant Messaging thing on the iPod Touch.

Also the iPod Touch is available in Canada, as there is no carrier required. I have a friend who bought one at a Canadian Best Buy store at the US price after checking the price on the US Best Buy site.

• Alex Rudnitsky December 31, 2008, 10:00 am

Um, I am… confused. I'm planning on buying an iPod touch 2g, and can I make calls through JaJah to other phones (home phones, cell-phones)? And can I make International calls? I know there is a mic for the ipod touch so I guess I can. And if I can make calls how much do i pay? Sorry…I'm a newbie. PLease reply ASAP, thanks.

• mweeza June 26, 2009, 6:29 am

The iPhone is definitely the best cell phone I've over owned, really happy I got it!