Desktop Sharing with Unyte

I had a need yesterday to use a desktop sharing application for a presentation.  We were giving an iotum presentation to a group in Toronto, and couldn't be there in person. My situation is compounded by Windows Vista  and Microsoft's OneCare Live for firewall and security.  Java applications, in particular, are difficult to install in this environment. I turned to Jim Courtney for some advice, since Jim's been using these systems for ever.

We had no joy with Yugma, which Jim — a real fan — suggested first.  We were able to share sessions when he started them, but I was never able to successfully install the console software on my PC to be able to start them myself.  The Skype Extra's manager gave a server error whenever I tried. Jim's on Windows XP.  I am not.

image Lotus Sametime Unyte, however, eventually did work after a little trying.  The problem we encountered was that each time a participant joined the session, Unyte would abruptly terminate the sharing session on the presenter's PC.  The trick?  By default the desktop sharing ports on the firewall are turned off.  Simply turning them on allowed normal operation.

The recipients of the presentation remarked afterward how well Unyte worked.  And the price was right too — free for person to person desktop sharing.

• Karel November 28, 2007, 6:43 am

Hi Alec,

Thanks for trying Yugma. Sorry to hear you got stuck. We've been working hard to resolve some install issues that are occurring mostly on some versions of Vista. We're going to be release a new version with fixes to various problems that have been reported. Plus, we have reported a couple of bugs to Skype on how Skype Extras works. If you don't mind, I'd very much like to have one of our tech support guys contact you to see what the issue is. We're committed to making Yugma the easiest way to collaborate on the web, and knowing more about what you've run into will help us a lot.

Thanks again,
    Karel Lukas
    Yugma http://www.yugma.com

• Cece Salomon-Lee November 28, 2007, 10:41 am

It seems that most desktop sharing applications require some type of download. Personally, my company uses PC View, but not as a desktop sharing app (where more than one person can control the "presentation" if everyone has downloaded the client) but rather a desktop presentation app integrated into our platform (in which presenters can show their desktop to viewers).

My company makes this slight distinction since our tech is webcasting (not web conferencing) – the former is considered a collaborative tool, while the second is for larger audience presentations. However, this may not be clearly differentiated from an industry perspective.

• Jim Courtney November 28, 2007, 10:08 pm

I should make it clear that I only recommended Yugma Skype because I have had several successful sessions using it. And, in most cases the sessions involved at least one Mac platform's paricipation. However, along with many other applications, it seems that Vista still presents challenges for, say, Java apps as you mentioned in a recent post.

• Alec November 29, 2007, 3:35 am

That is true Jim. Howard and I later were able to get Unyte working.

• Peter Childs November 29, 2007, 4:04 am

I'd be interested if you thought Unyte would work for International Demo camp?

As you know we ran into some of the same issues on the day we tried it, but Leeds is interested in trying it again.

An I love to see it as a regular part of the Ottawa/Toronto/Montreal DemoCamp events.

• Alec November 29, 2007, 4:14 am

I don't know Peter. We had other problems with Unyte that were related to how it is used to schedule sessions. It didn't seem to be easy, for instance, to schedule a session at a point in the future, which meant that at the last minute I had the folks in Toronto on the telephone as I dictated session ID's etc to them over the phone.

The experience I was looking for was much more like the experience we used to have with Microsoft LiveMeeting, but without the concomitant costs of LiveMeeting.