Bell Canada announces unlimited data

Bell Canada has some life in it yet.  The Toronto Star reports this morning that, in a dramatic move for the Canadian market, Bell will start offering unlimited data plans for the HTC Touch for just $7/month.  Rather than offer this plan to everyone, Bell is restricting it to consumers only. Business users still get socked for big bucks on devices like BlackBerry:

While Bell's $7 unlimited plan runs the risk of upsetting its subscribers who use competing devices such as the BlackBerry, which don't come with unlimited data options, [Bell VP] Bazerghi stressed that the lack of a full keyboard means the HTC Touch will hold little appeal for email-crazed business-types.

I guess the tean at RIM needs to pay a visit to those crazy Bellheads and let them know, again, that they're in the consumer space now with products like Pearl and Curve.

Over to you, Mr. Rogers.

• Jason Yeung November 21, 2007, 6:49 am

There are always retention offers, Telus is offering as a retention 250MB on the Pearl for $15.

– Jason

• Andrew November 21, 2007, 6:52 am

I think you and I and all Canadian wireless data users owe Mr. Jobs and the team @ Apple a big round of thanks for starting to crack the wireless data extortion that exists in Canada.

This is the first step for Bell and clearly a match to Rogers 15$ unlimited email and BB Messenger plan announced last week. The positioning and preparations these guys are doing in anticipation of the impending iPhone launch on Rogers is awesome for consumers.

It's Amazing how Apple; a complete newbie to the wireless space, can, with one device force carriers to play by its rules in a market where no device manufacturer had the balls to stand up for its end users until now.

Now that is a customer focussed organization!!

Thanks Apple!

• Jason Yeung November 21, 2007, 8:47 am

Well, really in a matter of weeks we've seen this:

$75 unlimited PC card offering from Bell, matched by TELUS a few weeks later (they also launched a $100 offering for unlimited data + Hotspots + unlimited US roaming).

$15 BlackBerry Personal Email plan from Rogers – only email + PIN. No browsing. Matched by TELUS's $15 Blackberry Email + IM.

$7 unlimited data on HTC Touch for Bell. TELUS's closest offer is their $15 unlimited email + IM + 250 MB data. However, they're making this available to the HTC Touch, S640, and I've heard people getting it with the Pearl if they push the reps a bit.

– Jason

• Jason Yeung November 21, 2007, 8:49 am

As for Rogers? I don't see them going anywhere near $7 for unlimited data anytime soon. They're GSM…which means people would start swapping the SIMs and putting them into PC cards and go crazy on usage. With Bell and Telus you can't do that.

People always complained about the inflexibility of CDMA (at least our implementation of CDMA), but it might just be this inflexibility that's helping bring our rates down.

– Jason

• Jason Yeung November 21, 2007, 10:30 pm

Just landed myself EPP 17.30 + free 100 minutes Canadian LD + Caller ID + 100 text messages + Unlimited data on BlackBerry Pearl tonight for $40 before taxes ($17.30 + $15 + SAF + 911).

Really…TELUS has outdone Bell by making this compatible with ALL PDAs and BlackBerrys. I'd gladly pay the $8 extra compared to Bell, at least the device has a keyboard!

– Jason

• Stephanie Cho December 7, 2007, 7:16 am

Cool stuff Jason ! What is the easiest way for me to get that also ? I have been wanting one of those cute BB Pearls for awhile now. I have been a Clearnet, Telus client for like 10 yrs now. But I need to get a new Pearl since I don't have one yet. Thanks for any advice. Unlimited data wow !!! Isn't it unlimited email too ?

• Jim Mirkalami February 7, 2008, 11:24 pm

I have been visiting this site a lot lately, so i thought it is a good idea to show my appreciation with a comment.

Thanks,