Using Windows is just like Leopard

Dave Winer doesn't like Leopard, the new Mac OS.  He, and some of his friends think it's too much like Windows.

Talking with a friend a few days ago, he asked what I thought of Leopard. He had installed the new version, like me, the first day it came out. "I'm not liking it," I said. He said something that was simple, profound and revealing: "It's like Windows." It is. It's that unpleasant to use. It disappears for long periods of time. Systems that didn't used to crash now crash regularly. On one system three hard disks were rendered unusable, and I lost a couple of full days restoring them (luckily I had good backups). The user interface is quirky. The new networking interface is a big step backward. The firewall moved and lost features! That's simply never done, you don't charge customers to remove features, esp security features. I think Apple doesn't understand how many people depend seriously on their Macs.

It was a while ago, but I used a Mac for a few days once.  You know what?  I agreed with Dave.  Using a Mac was just like Windows… but different enough to be frustrating.  There didn't seem to me to be a huge advantage for what I needed to do, so I decided to invest my time and energy into something productive instead.

Leopard is just like Windows… or is that the other way around?  Is anyone surprised?

• Mark Evans November 6, 2007, 7:57 am

I figured it was only a matter of time before the sharks would start to circle Leopard. :)

Mark

• Rob Hyndman November 6, 2007, 8:20 am

A superficial comparison would certainly suggest so. Anything new, of course, will be frustrating to someone used to old ways. It was the same for me when I switched. Lasted a couple of days. Then I understood.

As for Dave, he's just being pissy. Is anyone surprised? :)

• Sean O'Mahony November 6, 2007, 11:43 am

Pakistan's falling apart, we might be bombing Iran sometime soon, the Turks might invade Iraq too…

It's just a bloody OS upgrade.

It works just fine.

• Alec November 6, 2007, 12:08 pm

I never said otherwise… just very amused by Mac-o-Philes getting their knickers in a twist because their computers work like… well, computers.

• Diego November 6, 2007, 2:43 pm

Have you read his follow-up? Where he says the following:

"When I said Leopard feels like Windows, I meant that it locks up, disappears, freezes and crashes. That I have to trick it into doing the right thing. I wasn’t paying Windows a compliment, geez, you guys need to learn how to read."

Certainly not a glowing compliment given to Windows. That's for sure.

• Paul November 6, 2007, 3:20 pm

For all of Dave Winer's (or whiner's) intelligence and experience, he never ceases to amaze me with his neophyte questions to his readers (like how do I turn the ringer on my iPhone back on?), not to mention is apparent aversion to the new (I am betting that his view on Leopard will change over time if it matures, er if he matures, er if they mature together?) I actually didn't understand all of these complaints–the networking is incredibly more robust and brain dead, and though they've swapped out the default firewall, the old was is still avalable and completely customizable/configurable using either CLI or other GUI tools.

• Alec November 6, 2007, 3:20 pm

Dave's entitled to his opinion Diego. After years of being called an idiot for not buying the super expensive "PC that just works", I find the whole thing more than a little amusing, though.

Just for the record, my view is that Mac users should keep using their Mac's. Dave is making a monstrously huge assumption when he paints me as a Windows advocate using his post about Leopard as “proof” that Vista is really what you need. I'd rather shove red-hot pins through my fingers than try to have a sensible discussion with one of the rabid "Steve Jobs can do no wrong" faithful.

• Alec November 6, 2007, 3:26 pm

Paul, I'm sure that Dave's view will change over time too. You may recall some months ago I wrote a very pointed post about my opinion of Windows Vista, and sent it to Microsoft management. Today I'm pretty happy with it. I've learned about how to get the most from it, and what makes it unhappy. It's the best Windows I've used yet.

• MGU November 7, 2007, 11:40 am

Mac tried to get me to upgrade my operating system. For two reasons, I chose not to do so. First, what I have does what I need to do quite well, thank you very much. Second, experience tells me that Mac people do not handle new inovations well at all. This can be a damned nuisance.

My old LC520 was working well up until a few months ago when I trashed it. The trouble was it was no longer compatible with much, and software was no longer available.

• MGU November 7, 2007, 11:47 am

Just this minute came across this. It should be good for a giggle.

“The Mac has won”

Farhad Manjoo (Salon) makes a compelling case. “If we’re going just by what’s better—the ages-old Mac-vs.-PC debate is over. Long over. Yell it from the rooftops; The Mac has won.” Now’s the right time “to buy an Apple computer,” proclaims Manjoo. “Indeed, it’s been that time for the past five years.” After all, “its Macintosh business is now in league with that of the biggest PC companies in the world.” And “everyone who’s used it agrees that Leopard, the operating system that Apple released late last month, is to its chief rival, Microsoft’s Windows Vista, roughly as Richard Wagner is to Richard Marx.” Manjoo even takes the opportunity to “put to rest the myth that an Apple computer will set you back more than a Windows PC. In fact,” he says, “it’ll cost you less.”