Will Rogers bring iPhone to Canada?

Blackfriar's The gutsy marketing and strategy behind Apple's iPhone price cut is a succinct dissection of the iPhone strategy.  The piece points out that Apple is trying to reorganize the telecom value chain by making the phones the story for consumers — not the carrier.  This strategy can work well in a market where carrier choice exists.  The obvious question, then, is why would Mr. Rogers ever bring this phone and business model to Canada?  With Rogers' monopoly on GSM and GSM devices, the deals that Apple is cutting in Europe simply wouldn't be attractive.

• Shai Berger September 21, 2007, 7:50 am

(Alec, I think a link to the original piece is missing?)

Canada needs to relax rules on foreign ownership. That's the only way we're going to get any real competition in mobile carriers.

• Alec September 21, 2007, 11:00 am

Thank's Shai. Link is live now.

• Sean O'Mahony September 21, 2007, 4:15 pm

Who really cares? Here I am in Vancouver and I've got my lovely iPhone working with my Fido SIM and my MAXroam SIM and all is good in the world. Bollocks to Rogers 😉

• Andrew September 22, 2007, 11:28 am

We aren't going to see it on Rogers anytime soon – the iPhone is only sold on a unlimited data plan (Apple won't budge on this). Rogers refuses to offer this to consumers, and enjoys its monopoly by pricing wireless data at rates that are the most expensive in the world.

• Tim T October 22, 2007, 12:36 pm

you losers!! rogers already has an unlimited data plan… go to the store and ask them! they go for 79.99 a month but thats with nothing else included so clearly the iphone would be costly, for now.

• Alec October 22, 2007, 12:39 pm

Hey Tim,

Suggest you go read this before "taking advantage" of that plan.

Read the fine print on the 79.99 deal, lad.

A

• Tim T October 22, 2007, 12:48 pm

how inconvenient. it hasnt happened to me before, good thing to check up on. But still having an iphone with my rogers SIM has been pretty easy, that was the only real price compromise, and i've had my phone for two months now.

• Alec October 22, 2007, 5:53 pm

All I can say is "watch out for the weasel words".

• Douglas Michael November 26, 2007, 1:16 pm

iPhone Unlimited Data for around $45 per month in Canada – How To

There is a way you can get unlimited data access for the iPhone in Canada today.

While Rogers gets around (or not) to providing the iPhone and a reduced data rate that satisfies Apple and the rest of us; there is a way to get Unlimited Data for the iPhone in Canada.

Check the following page on how to do it at: http://www.douglasmichael.com