I just came across Jim Courtney's Getting Presence Right, in which he outlines his experiences using iotum's New Presence application Talk-Now at CEBIT. It's a wonderful post, offering some solid insights into how presence must evolve in order to be truly useful.
- True real time availability requires that your status be known whether your PC is online or offline.
- Real time availability information must be implemented such that you can take back control of all your real time communications.
- Effective Presence systems must inherently bring increased productivity
- Availability information systems would lead to minimal use of "asynchronous" intermediaries such as voice mail.
- Availability information must be integrated into a platform where short informal "synchronous" interactive conversations can be totally ad hoc and impulsive => instantaneous text chat.