winter is here

Despite my best intentions, I’m not sure I’ll be at Barcamp this morning. Winter has arrived in Ottawa with a vengeance. Ice storms hit the city yesterday and my home has been withouy power for the last 15 hours. It’s no big deal for most people, however because we’re on septic and well, it means no water as well. Darn furnace has an electric blower too… So no heat.

• Jim Courtney December 2, 2006, 3:47 am

If you're without power, how are you connecting to the Internet to make this post? Rogers new HSDPA service? and running your laptop on batteries?

• Alec December 2, 2006, 5:06 am

Blogged it from my Blackberry

• Randy Charles Morin December 2, 2006, 6:39 am

TO has flurries this morning. Good luck with BarCamp Ottawa.

• Mum December 3, 2006, 7:13 am

My profound sympathies!!! I hope you have power now. Too bad you converted your fireplace to gas. The city still has not cleaned our street since last weekend's snowstorm, but our power was not out. There are some places in our area where the power lines are down and have not been fixed yet. How are you managing with heat and cooking? Much love, Ma

• Alec December 3, 2006, 9:22 am

Power came on about 12 noon yesterday, so it wasn't so bad. Our gas fireplace still functioned too, and we could run the stove. Its made me consider buying a generator, though!

• MatthewS December 3, 2006, 8:30 pm

OUCH! We have been living with -10 to -19 C weather lately. No power outages, but for the last year use wood to heat one large space of our house and keep the rest at about 15 C with our furnace. If we were to lose power, the wood stove would keep us pretty warm–though the blower wouldn't work. We go through about a cord over late autumn, winter, and early spring and it saves us close to $800 USD over the season.