Cancelling SunRocket… via EMail

Some time ago I activated a SunRocket account to trial the service using a temporary debit card.  The debit card ran out of funds, so they emailed me to let me know that the card was declined.  Since I was finished trialing the service, I asked them to cancel… via email.  And that’s when the fun started.  SunRocket has a policy of not allowing cancellations by email.  Ostensibly this is for security, but it also gives the SunRocket rep a chance to re-sell the cancelling customer on the service.

Here’s the email exchange.  I still don’t know if the account has been cancelled, but SunRocket has asked me to participate in an online survey about my latest customer experience.  Perhaps that’s a good sign.

From: Alec Saunders
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 4:49 PM
To: Member Services
Subject: RE: FW: SunRocket Invoice – Credit Card Payment Declined 2nd Notice (#6554-58943678-6330)

Blake,

Many thanks for your continued efforts to help me.

I understand your policy, and it is rational for the situation where you receive an unsolicited email asking for a cancellation.  Since you approached me, however, there should not be a security concern.  You sent the mail to me, reminding me that a payment had not been made, and I responded by permitting you to terminate the account.

I have no wish to spend long periods of time on a telephone line listening to hold music while waiting for an operator to respond.  I have no desire to answer the interminable questions about why I want to cancel.  Nor do I find it pleasant to defend myself from the service rep who’s unfortunate job it is to sell me on staying on with SunRocket.  I’ve made my decision, and it is final.

Once again, you have my permission to cancel the account.  And, as I said previously, my choice as a customer is to communicate with you solely by email.

Best regards,

Alec.

—–Original Message—–
From: Member Services [mailto:memberservices@sunrocket.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 4:16 PM
To: Alec Saunders

Dear Alec Saunders,

Daer  Alec Saunders,

I would like to say first off thank you for your business we do appreciate you very much.  Well we thank you for the time we did have you as a customer and we would like to say that we would be happy to process that cancellation for you. I’m sure you know that we cannot do that via e-mail because of our acct security policy. If there’s anything else we can do to make your SunRocket experience the best it can be, please feel free to call SunRocket Member Services at 1-800-786-0132. Our Representatives are available from 7am to 12 Midnight EST. You may also send us an e-mail at memberservices@sunrocket.com. Our e-mail support team is available 24-hours a day, 7 days a week.

Sincerely,Blake-29714
SunRocket Member Services
Ticket#: 1000328518

If you have further questions, please visit our website at www.SunRocket.com where you can find answers by simply logging into your account.  If you are unable to find your answer online, you may contact a Member Services representative via email at memberservices@sunrocket.com, or by phone at (800) 786-0132 (7 am to Midnight ET, 7 days a week).

—–Original Message—–
From: Alec Saunders
Sent: Nov 15, 2006 10:01:04 PM

David,

Many thanks for your mail.  Please feel free to cancel the account, as I have no intention of calling and talking to a customer service agent.

The credit card you are attempting to bill was an AMEX prepaid card that was given to me to trial SunRocket. My trial is finished, the card is now dead, and I have no ability to top it. You may continue to attempt payment with it until the next millennium, but there will still never be another dime available on that card.

Your apology is accepted, however, my choice to communicate with you, as a customer, is via email solely.

Best,

A

—–Original Message—–
From: Member Services [mailto:memberservices@sunrocket.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 10:45 PM
To: Alec Saunders
Subject: RE: FW: SunRocket Invoice – Credit Card Payment Declined 2nd
Notice (#6554-58943678-6330)

Dear Alec,
Thank you for contacting SunRocket.

This is with regards to your intentions of canceling your Sunrocket service. However, we are unable to process cancellations via e-mail. Please contact us at (800) 786-0132 (7 am to Midnight EST, 7 days a week) and we would be glad to help you.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please use this ticket number, 1000328762, as reference to this matter. Our customer support team will be able to extend to you the same support.

Sincerely,

David 29717

If you have further questions, please visit our website at

_____

From: Alec Saunders
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 1:06 PM
To:
invoice@sunrocket.com
Subject: RE: SunRocket Invoice – Credit Card Payment Declined 2nd Notice

Please cancel the account.

Thanks – A

_____

From: SunRocket [mailto:invoice@sunrocket.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 8:15 AM
To: Alec Saunders
Subject: SunRocket Invoice – Credit Card Payment Declined 2nd Notice

Reference: B2

Dear Alec Saunders,

Thank you for being a valued SunRocket Member.

This is a friendly second reminder that we have been unable to secure payment for SunRocket service as described on your invoice #1436038 because your credit card has been declined by your credit card company or bank. To avoid disruption in service please respond immediately.

Your account currently has an outstanding balance of $9.95, which requires your prompt attention.  You must update your credit card information as soon as possible to ensure your account remains in good standing.  You can do so by logging onto your SunRocket account and following these steps:

1. Go to www.sunrocket.com <http://www.sunrocket.com/>  and log into your account.

2. Go to My Account

3. Select Billing Information

4. Click on “Change” under Credit Card Account Information

5. Enter new Credit Card Account Information

6. Click on “Save”

Note, you may also use a valid debit or check card with your SunRocket account so long as it works like a credit card and carries the MasterCard or Visa logo on the front.

Once your account information is updated and valid, you can expect to be billed by SunRocket for the outstanding balance.  You will receive an email communication when the charge has been processed.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our Billing Team immediately at (800) 786-0132 (7 am to Midnight ET, 7 days a week) or email us at invoice@SunRocket.com <mailto:memberservices@sunrocket.com>. We appreciate your prompt attention to this matter.

Thank you in advance for your timely response,

SunRocket Billing Team

• Jeremy Bettis November 20, 2006, 5:55 am

What lovely bank do you use that let's you create temporary debit card numbers?

• Alec November 20, 2006, 6:12 am

It was given to me as a promotional item — an AMEX debit card with a fixed amount of money on it. Think of it as being like a prepaid card.

• Laura November 20, 2006, 7:59 am

I find it really creepy that they have names like David 29717 and Blake-29714… like they're prisoners… or robots…

• Alec November 20, 2006, 8:40 am

Ever see the George Lucas film THX 1138? :)

• Paul November 20, 2006, 8:48 am

Although this exchange is quite humorous, it is not atypical of the convoluted and stupid processes that companies create nominally in the name of customer service. Like when I call Comcast to complain about a service outage in my area, and they want my account number, name, address, birth date, account phone # — everything but my social security number, and that's after they've already asked me to punch the phone number that the account is registered under and then tell them again verbally when I actually get connected to a person. What's worse is that I know they can see my phone number on their screen, and it's the primary key that the account is listed under, so they already know where I'm calling from, that it is at a minimum the household with the account, if not the person who's name the account is in. i.e. if I'm not at home, my wife isn't allowed to report that there is a service outage on our street.

Clearly it isn't about security, it's about their stupid process and validations built into it. Still, I wouldn't just ignore all these pleas — unless you respond in a legally accepted manner (i.e. on their terms), they can destroy your credit. No matter how stupid their process and how annoying their lack of common sense is, you will (legally, if not morally) owe the money if you don't follow their rules for cancellation. The real solution is to simply not do business with companies that behave this way, and that especially means avoiding "free trials" which are really just intended to trap you into paying for something you never intended to keep. (The classic AOL maneuver.)

• Alec November 20, 2006, 9:29 am

Your point is very valid, Paul. Rest assured, until I have confirmation from them that the account has been cancelled, I won't stop talking to them.

• david miller February 12, 2007, 5:45 am

same here but mine was with them renewing a one year commitment after i emailed them not to in advance. i finally settled it with an informal complaint to the FCC and suddenly i got my $199 refunded to my credit card after 4 months of email.

• Felicia March 30, 2007, 3:09 pm

I am looking for a silimilar type of phone service. I tried lingo for one week and already i do not like them.
    So i decided to look elsewhere i guest i will not be trying sunrocket ether. Thank you for the information you save me the headache.
    Do you recommend anyone else?

• Mila Crispo July 17, 2007, 11:22 am

July 17 2007. I have called 1-800-786-0132 many times for 1 week now. Response says "no calls from customers allowed. I have a prepaid membership and my phone is not working. Can you direct me to the right person or address or site or a new phone # to contact? Thank you for your help.

• Alec July 17, 2007, 1:59 pm

Mila – I think you are out of luck. SunRocket went out of business yesterday.