Nokia 6682: The Best Nokia Phone You Can Get in Canada

Nokia 6682For the last few days, courtesy of Toronto-based word of mouth marketers Matchstick, I’ve been one of 45 bloggers in Ottawa playing with a Nokia 6682 cell phone, with Rogers service.  This phone is the baby brother of the Nokia N70, which I’ve written about before, but which has never been available in Canada. In fact, none of the N series phones have been available here! A pity.  The 6682, however, is, and it’s a nice piece of gear.

From an industrial design perspective, the N70 and the 6682 are almost identical.  The 6682 is clad in an appealing pearl plastic, while the N70’s shell is plastic and brushed chrome.  Functionally, both have a sliding plastic rear panels which uncover a high quality camera.  Slide the panel open, revealing the camera, and the phone will automatically switch to camera mode, allowing you to shoot either still photos or videos.  The 6682’s camera is a 1.3 megapixel unit, capable of shooting a 1280×960 still photo.  The N70 shoots better pictures and video because of its 2 megapixel camera.  Both, however, suffer in low light settings, like bars and restaurants. The 1.5 meter range on the flash is good enough for snapping a few photos of friends while having a beer, but its effectiveness is limited beyond that.

Still, if you want to snap some photos, send them to your friends, or post them to a photo blog, this is just the ticket.  The bundled in Nokia Lifeblog software makes it a snap to do just that.

Another of the nice features of the 6682 is the music player.  It comes with a pair of high quality stereo headphones, and music playback software.  Nokia also provides an adaptor for the Nokia “pop-port” to allow any stereo headphones to be used, in case you don’t like theirs.  To get your favorite tunes onto the phone, just connect to your PC with bluetooth, or the included USB cable, and download away.  With the 512M MMC card (a $60 optional extra), your phone will have the same capacity as an iPod shuffle.

Getting information to and from your phone is a snap with the Nokia PC Suite software.  You can synch contacts, calendar items, to do lists, music, photos and videos.  It works with either bluetooth, or a USB connection.  I found the bluetooth very convenient, and more than quick enough.

HeadsetMy unit came with the Nokia HS-26W bluetooth headset.  This is a very welcome improvement over the Motorola HS-820 I’ve been using for the last two years.  It has a much better design for the earpiece, and most people I’ve spoken to say that it sounds much better as well.  It’s a keeper!

Oh, and by the way, it’s also a capable cellular phone. The 6682 is a tri-band GSM/GPRS phone with EDGE for fast uploading and downloading.  They claim up to six hours of talk time on a single battery charge.  Rogers has also tricked it out with the usual assortment of links to sites to download games, ringtones, videos and more.

For my money, the Nokia 6682 is likely the best cellular phone / camera on the market in Canada right now.  Of course, I am disappointed that Nokia and Rogers haven’t chosen to market the N series phones here, but the 6682 is the next best thing.  It’s a great little unit.

• /pd August 29, 2006, 11:18 am

we all know that Gadgets are kewl… some high end some low end.. my beef is with rogers.. maybe I should take an ad out like this :)-

• Alec August 29, 2006, 12:10 pm

Hey PD, I agree. Rogers can be less than customer driven on occasion.

• luca September 1, 2006, 6:38 am

I own a 6680 since July 2005, that is the same as 6682, but UMTS. It's a great phone, a part for the extreme slowness of the Symbian OS. I own also a Nokia 6280 (the sliding one) as my company phone, and I can say that, even if it is not a Symbian one (even if the look&feel of the Nokia proprietary SO is the same), it's much faster. Moreover, I have a 2Mpix camera integrated into it (the 6680 has a 1.2Mpix).
    So, in general, I prefer the 6280.

• Alec September 1, 2006, 7:21 am

The 2 megapixel camera makes a big difference, doesn't it?

• engtech September 6, 2006, 3:23 pm

I got a Nokia 6682 as part of the Ottawa blogger seeding program as well.

Overall I’m pretty happy with the phone, but only after I put on a ton of freeware. Even then I find the menu delay is sometimes unbearable.

I really disagree with your analysis of Lifeblog. It’s pretty much useless because it only supports Typepad.

• david osho December 6, 2006, 3:55 am

how much is the phone i wanna know the price

• Alec December 6, 2006, 4:36 am

Here's the Rogers page, David.

• Super Man July 8, 2007, 11:26 pm

I have 5600 is it better or close to de n70?

• Imran January 2, 2008, 2:06 am

From an industrial design perspective, the N70 and the 6682 are almost identical. The 6682 is clad in an appealing pearl plastic, while the N70’s shell is plastic and brushed chrome. Functionally, both have a sliding plastic rear panels which uncover a high quality camera. Slide the panel open, revealing the camera, and the phone will automatically switch to camera mode, allowing you to shoot either still photos or videos.  The 6682’s camera is a 1.3 megapixel unit, capable of shooting a 1280×960 still photo.  The N70 shoots better pictures and video because of its 2 megapixel camera.  Both, however, suffer in low light settings, like bars and restaurants. The 1.5 meter range on the flash is good enough for snapping a few photos of friends while having a beer, but its effectiveness is limited beyond that.

Imran http://www.mobilephoneupdates.com

• Adam February 10, 2008, 4:42 pm

The 6682 is/was indeed a solid phone to have. Phone use and camera use was always intuitive and effective. Used the phone when I went to Europe and it worked like a champ.

The only downfall was not synching with exchange, that's why I receintly upgraded to a blackjack II. I will probably still use my 6682 as a backup phone for when i'm doing something that may risk damaging my phone.

Here is the writeup I did forever ago…ha, funny to compare it to the Razr as the 'it' phone, seems like an eternity ago. http://www.4tay.com/blogs/Adam_Parker/Nokia_6682_

• Jackie July 30, 2008, 1:42 pm

Nokia Lifeblog application for use on Nokia 6682 phone is no longer available for distribution. The only way to get it is if it was already on the MMC card included with your phone. The link on the Nokia website for LifeBlog download for the Nokia 6682 is dead.