Mashing AIM Triton 1.5 Preview

Quietly, just before the holiday weekend last week, AOL released the AIM Triton 1.5 Preview.  It seems that nobody noticed. There were all of six blog entries about it last week. I guess the blogging world was heading off to go camping on Thursday afternoon.  Or maybe, the AIMers need some extra help from Andy Abramson

The big story with this release is integration.

1. AIM Phoneline is now part of Triton.  This is AIM’s free phone service for incoming calls, which can be converted to a service that can make and receive calls for a low monthly fee.  It’s super easy to get set up.
  2. The AIM team has also done some work to integrate with AIM Pages.  It now lets you propogate your buddy updates to your AIM page, and subscribe to changes on friends pages.  This isn’t surprising, as MSN has had similar capabilities for a while.
  3. AIM also now includes a video module that can serve up on demand video clips.  It shows AIM the latest AIM video clips.  What I’d really like would be something like You-Tube in this window.
  4. They’ve also, more intriguingly, built a gadgets and plugins interface.  Included with the download is a location plugin, but there’s a page of additional gadgets you can check out.  It’s slim pickings at the moment, but if AOL can build a developer community around this component, AIM will have a very large competitive advantage.

Triton is definitely showing AIM’s platform aspirations.  Buried in Triton are a full set of call control APIs as well.  AOL is clearly seeking to establish AIM as the integration platform for desktop media applications.

• Andy Abramson June 1, 2006, 5:18 pm

I posted some early thoughts here. http://andyabramson.blogs.com/voipwatch/2006/05/t

• Eric Lipes July 12, 2006, 3:14 pm

But I use AIM as my instant messaging program, and that's all I am interested in using it for. Now, I keep getting the AIM(R) Triton 1.5 installation update window which I can't get rid of. It's getting to the point where I will delete AIM as my messaging service. Can u advise me how to eliminate this annoying window? (used every anti pop up and spyware program know to man to no avail.) Thanks.

• Alec July 12, 2006, 6:29 pm

Eric, I don't know the answer. Sorry buddy!

• Matt July 19, 2006, 6:42 am

Eric, Im with ya man…

This pop up is driving me crazy, and I am NOT installing it. If anyone can help….

• diane gordon July 21, 2006, 4:30 pm

I think you have to install the damned thing (triton) in order to remove it.

• Leslie Miller August 9, 2006, 7:51 am

I installed it and it STILL POPS UP! My boss requires me to have AIM, so I'm SOL here.
    Can anybody help us get rid of the AIM(R) Triton 1.5 installation update window???

• Kenneth Gilbert August 10, 2006, 5:38 am

My opinion and sentiments are exactly the same as Eric Lipes' that he posted July 12, 2006. This pop-up is annoying. If anyone knows how to permanently get rid of this aggrevating and persistant pop-up window, please share with us. I likewsie, am about to the point of eliminating anything associated with AIM or AOL!!!!

I DO NOT want this AIM(R) Triton 1.5 Preview installation!!!!!!!!!!!!

• John August 11, 2006, 1:57 pm

Eric: What version of Triton do you have now (under File:Help:About)? And what exactly happens when you accept the upgrade?

• Ann August 11, 2006, 2:06 pm

The installation update alert is a mandatory software upgrade from AIM(R) Triton to AIM Triton 1.5. The update resolves memory leaks and two well known crash bugs. This version doesn't introduce any behavior that would interrupt the basic IM experience.

AIM Phoneline is a dramatic improvement over the VOIP product already a part of the original release.

The new icon on the BL providing one-click to get your "buddy info" also provides an alert when your buddy has update their profile, as well as updated a blog or their AIM Pages profile. This alert will soon be integrated with other sites. You can hide this icon by going to Edit > Settings > Buddy List and uncheck "Show Buddy Update indicator".

Expect to see another software update by the end of the summer that resolves reconnect issues, a Phoneline connect issue and reporting spam. The AIM team will only force an upgrade if security & performance issues are at play.

Leslie, please select "install now" on your update and try to reinstall. If you still see the alert, please send a mail to me at DullesAnn@aim.com or visit our beta boards at http://beta.aol.com/projects.php?project=triton&a….

• natalie September 3, 2006, 1:22 pm

this dumb thing cant be deleted. I dont want it is was accidently downloaded. I need this thing deleted off my computer. Aim triton 1.5 is the worse!

• EagleEye October 17, 2006, 3:32 am

How to Remove that annoying Pop-up Window:
    I too was a "victim" on the non-stop pop-up window reminding me to install the 1.5 Preview. When that window pops up, click on "View History" (in the top right corner of that window). A history window will open, you then click on the 1.5 Preview and then click on the "Delete" button at the bottom of that window. The pop-up has gone away for me! Good luck to all.

• Nope EAGleeye, it co October 19, 2006, 3:04 am

nope, it comes back in a couple hours or so TRITON SUCKS
    so sign a petition against it here http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?triton

• Brandy November 4, 2006, 10:34 am

how do you make a buddy profile on aim 1.5

• Rob November 15, 2006, 3:04 am

The problem with this "required update" is that it adds a bunch of tracking cookies which slows down your whole system – note to Ann from AOL – I just need a messaging system – I'm not interested in having you track my every move! There is a way to get around this thing – I just have to find it – VERY ANNOYING!!!!

• CARLA November 27, 2006, 8:19 am

This is concerning the pop-ups to install AIM(R)Triton 1.5 preview and how to rid them from your computer. After reading several stories and blogs ,I became determind to rid them from my own computer as they were such a hassle. Not more than ten minutes after searching my results came. I'll describe them and lead you through the process. Remember the program was uninstalled already.Use SEARCH, to locate any remainder files , In my case there was only one lingering around.Then choose AOL Uninstaller( choose which products to remove), as in ADD and REMOVE Programs,click CHANGE/REMOVE, and then one or more programs will appear,AIM(R) Triton uninstall ,was removed quickly with the click of a mouse and NEVER returned.

• dave November 29, 2006, 7:16 am

I followed Carla's directions and the pop up and program seem to be gone. Thanks for the direction. dmw

• Lorie November 30, 2006, 3:57 am

Thank you Carla!
    The way it appeared in the add/remove files, I thought it was my aol so I didn't want to touch that.
    But I had previously removed anything that was titled "triton", with no results
    I too was ready to dump aol and anything to do with it.

Much appreciated.

• aggravated January 14, 2007, 8:21 am

i've already removed all of aol using the uninstaller. still have aim 1.0.4 on the box which is all i need. the popup for triton 1.5 preview keeps on coming… even though i've clicked install now on several occasions. The AIM folks have created a buggy update and they need to let people know how to deactivate/get rid of it

• aggravated January 14, 2007, 9:07 am

dang thing keeps poppin up EVERY 20 minutes… clicking on install now has no effect… what kind of crap is this? the pop says its' update 3999.1.4… can anyone help me get rid of this?