More Echoes in the Chamber?

I don’t get it.

The world’s buzzing over Dave Winer’s new toy, share.opml.org, which is a site for sharing your reading list with others. Mike Arrington, Steve Rubel, Robert Scoble, and a bunch of other folks are gaga over this thing.   In a nutshell, you can upload your blogroll (in OPML format, hence the name), publish it, and then use a variety of other tools to find out what it is that others like yourself are reading.

So I tried it.  I uploaded my blogroll (exported from Bloglines), and gave it a drive.

Here’s the thing.  I don’t have any trouble finding content, nor does sharing my reading list with someone else (although I do publish it) really do anything for me.   My problem isn’t finding more stuff to read.  My problem is wading through the morass of stuff that comes my way to find the one or two nuggets that are really topical.  My blogroll is large, but I don’t actually read it all regularly.  I suspect most people are like me, in that regard.  What I would find useful is something that helps me find relevant new content – content related to what I actually read.

Am I missing something?

• /pd May 8, 2006, 12:19 pm

Alec' has a point w/relevance !! I too have this same issue, how to find the relevent feeds to a specific topic or tread ?? But that again is difficult !! I try the google Alert system for e.g The Term "Mesh Conference" – returns to me everyhing from mesh topo meeting, RSS meshing, WebMeshups, chicken mesh, "mash" (mesh spelt the wrong way) – yeah like "mashed" potatoes.. !! SO its pretty 'relevant' question here !!

• alif May 8, 2006, 6:31 pm

This issue is right up our alley… I agree with Alec, because this is an issue many bloggers and blog readers have communicated to me. It's a double edge sword since more blogs to read also mean less time devoted to any group of blogs – regardless of quality. "The Paradox of Choice" was a topic covered at PC Forum 06. This is one of the reasons why online communities, digg, tagging, etc. have been on the rise as they are collective efforts that help narrow these massively growing choices available on the web. And as /pd in the prior comment has mentioned, automated tools only work to a certain level of success, particularly when it comes to niche subject areas. Our community hub projects – CircleID, Voiponder,… (if I may :) are specifically aimed at offering solution layers via collective participations.

• osh May 9, 2006, 4:27 pm

what you said, Alec. discovery is not the problem, relevance is. i haven't yet found a tool i like for this… and i've been searching.

• Alec May 9, 2006, 4:35 pm

let me know if you find one Osh. In the meantime, Alif's approach is not a bad one. Get some high quality content providers to contribute to an edited forum.

• Paul Jardine June 9, 2006, 6:17 pm

The problem with all the tagging nonsense is that all tags are equal (or at least universally unequal), whereas people want to assign importance to the tagging actions they trust. If Johnny Smartass tags 2 dozen articles per day, I could care less, but if James Enck or Alec tags something then I'd like to know.
    I've commented on this malaise in relation to 'communities' like LinkedIn before. If I'm linked to someone through a connection who has 25k connections, then I'm not really connected, but if it's through a trusted buddy who has just 60 connections then that's much more interesting. It doesn't mean I don't want to be connected on the 'promiscuous network', I just attach less value to it.
    People are too concerned about creating the definitive 'Voip community' or 'web 2.0 community'. I think these grow organically out of personal communities. Is it relevance? Yes, I think it is.

• Alec June 10, 2006, 3:18 am

I agree Paul. So, what do you of Digg? On Digg, you can track stories which friends have tagged as significant.