GTalk To VoIP

It’s crude looking, and I haven’t yet had a chance to try it, but GTalk Voice Services are here. Controlled by text commands in the GTalk Window, they provide free conference calling, free voice mail, and paid outbound calls to the PSTN.  Inbound service, via a DID, are in the works, according to the site.

• Andrew March 20, 2006, 9:41 am

http://jabphone.com/ Is a little more refined, I have been using it and it works really well.

• Alec March 20, 2006, 11:58 am

Thanks! I’ll go check it out.

• malc March 21, 2006, 5:15 pm

I think it needs way more work to make it attractive to the average user.

• Ruslan March 21, 2006, 11:11 pm

I’m one of gtalk2voip developers team. Yes, we are working on a Google Desktop plugin which will make use of our voice services in a more convenient way.

Btw, what we had in mind for outgoing phone calls is to let any voip services provider or anyone who keeps H.323 complient devices to easily register and submit their “namespace” to GTalk users. In example, if you have an IP phone on a dedicated IP address you can registers as service provider and let everyone call you from Gtalk.

• Kirk March 22, 2006, 12:49 am

Yeah it needs more work… I use it, but it crashes.

• Ruslan March 22, 2006, 6:54 am

Do you really think so, Alec ? Well, all the technical stuff are already operational. Sure, some bugs must be fixed and a better user interface to be designed (maybe something like a google desktop plugin). But what we lack off most is a good brand (should we ask Google? :-)) to promote the idea and maybe some more free time. All the development is done on our spare time home after work :-).

• Alec March 22, 2006, 6:56 am

Cool, Ruslan! I think a transparent, user-driven federation model will be killer.

• Neo June 30, 2006, 1:11 am

It’s convenient by using gtalk to contact other side from my place.But , in the moment,our ISP do not permit us to use Gtalk as well as Gmail.So that I would like to know how to bypass for using Gtalk and Gmail.Please give the way how to use.Thanks

• aung April 8, 2007, 3:59 am

our isp do not permit us to use gtalk voice.please give the way of how to bypass for using gtalk voice.

• NoRmL3000 December 20, 2009, 6:44 pm

Ok quick question, does this work well with google voice? can I receive phone calls with it either from a “standard” phone or forwarded from google voice?