Teenage Boys, Cheese and a Hot Glue Gun

The Hot Cheese Gun, originally uploaded by Alec Saunders.

I couldn’t figure out why the hot glue gun shorted out yesterday. Today, while downloading photos from my camera, I came across this…

So what are you looking at? My two oldest sons carved a piece of cheese into the shape of a hot glue stick, put it in the gun, and used it to make cheesie crackers.

• Chris Bauman February 20, 2006, 3:57 am

That is just plain funny. Ingeniuity at its finest. Perhaps they too are entrepreneurs at heart. They had a problem (tired of using processed cheese from a can) and created a solution (thus the cheese gun). You might have a winner on this idea. Just think of all the hungry, cheese-and-cracker-loving craft fair participants. Talk about a niche market…

• Alec February 20, 2006, 8:06 am

It’s definitely a niche… Geoff Moore would be proud. I think there are some product kinks to be worked out still… such as the fact that it is a single use item so long as the hot glue guns keep shorting out after the cheese is applied.

• Shanti Braford February 20, 2006, 8:28 pm

That’s just wrong.

• Rob February 21, 2006, 1:06 pm

Those are clearly stone wheat crackers… these are kids of class and distinction.

• Deborah March 29, 2006, 1:12 pm

I am an employee for Coldheat. We have an exciting new DIY/crafting product called the Freestyle Glue Gun (www.coldheat.com). It is a cordless glue gun with many features including, a removable battery pack, tip protector, anti-drip mechanism, powersave, and work light. Can you imagine what the boys can do with no cord involved? they could circulate at parties like waiters – offering cheese nibbles on the spot!

• Alec March 29, 2006, 6:15 pm

Send me one Deborah!!! I’ll put them to work on it right away.

• Deborah April 3, 2006, 11:50 am

Alec – If I send you a glue gun would you consider writing a review on your blog? It would be nice if you even tried it out with glue sticks – just a thought :) I’m impressed by the ingenuity of your boys – As a former event planner – I can envison an entire party based around tools used for purposes other than their original design use… (shish ke babs on long capentry nails, hot glue gun appetizers, small hack saws for slicing bread/bagels, pliers to offer up foods as opposed to tongs, – foods seved in toys dump trucks instead of bowls or platters on the buffet table, construction hard hats filled with ice and chilled shrimp, etc.) It would be ideal for a ground breaking ceremony for new construction. Okay – don’t get me started! Next I’ll be talking about blow torches!

• Alec April 3, 2006, 1:40 pm

Absolutely. And I love your idea… makes me want to have a party like that.

• Deborah April 5, 2006, 10:47 am

Alec,

You can contact me at my business email so that we can coordinate mailing. drc@coldheat.com

• New Jersey Boys Summ October 6, 2008, 8:20 am

OMG that's so funny. I remember when I was growing up, my older brother would make grilled cheese sandwiches on a grill outside. I thought that was a little off, but when I tasted it (with beef-like taste 'cause of the grill), it was really good. I can only imagine what it would taste like considering the difference in size (making it take so much longer to make even one of them)…