I Condemn You

I do not condemn all muslims.  As there are in many faiths, there are muslims who are cultural, muslims who are moderate, those who are fundamentalist, and those who are radical.   This is for you, the radicals.

I have seen the cartoons in question.  They are widely available on the internet.

Originally, I questioned the wisdom of the Danish papers in publishing these cartoons.  I thought that surely they would have had the good sense to avoid publishing something so offensive.   Having seen the cartoons in question, I applaud the Danes for their actions.   There are many things in society which are offensive; inequality, poverty, hunger, violence, sexism.  These are simply drawings — ink and paper, nothing more.  An appropriate response would be letters to the editor, or drawing a few cartoons of your own.  Perhaps even non-violent protest.

Do you not see echoes of the Nazi brownshirts in the gangs of roving thugs killing people in the streets, smashing shop windows, and burning embassies?

Many Western papers, regrettably including the Globe and Mail here in Canada, have chosen not to publish.  They have hidden behind words defending free speech, but called the republishing of the cartoons "gratuitous".  They are cowards.  If the majority of the world were to see these published, your tactics would be exposed for what they are: simple intimidation; the actions of a schoolyard bully.

I do not deny you the right to practice Islam in any fashion you wish.

I do not deny you the right to speak out when you believe you have been wronged.

I question the value of any belief system that must quell freedom of speech and freedom of thought by threat of violence in order to stay relevant in the lives of its followers.  I am sorrowful for those who live in such tyranny.

And I condemn you for attempting to impose those same beliefs on the the rest of world by violence and the continued threat of violence.

• Alec February 14, 2006, 5:18 pm

Respect cannot be taken, only given.

Of course the violence isn't about the cartoons. When the Danish imams were unable to generate sufficient controversy with the tame cartoons published in the paper, they added some spice with three extra, extremely offensive, cartoons.

So, yes, it's not about the cartoons, or even the Danish press. The violence is a product of radical imams manipulating their own flocks for who knows what ends. So far it seems to be working.

• muslim scholar February 14, 2006, 5:41 pm

Well actually one could say that the newspapers by reprinting the original cartoons are doing the manipulating.

Kudos for the Globe and Mail for showing maturity in their response.

ps. Perhaps you should visit some European countries to see how immigrants are marginalised before you comment on this and similar issues. It will give you the perspective that you lack as a Canadian. The society here is very different.

Best wishes.

• muslim scholar February 14, 2006, 8:42 pm

Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. The Danish press acted irresponsibly by publishing these cartoons. And in case you haven’t clued in yet- the violence is not only about the cartoons- they were merely a trigger.

These people are not imposing their beliefs- all they ask is that you respect them.

• Alec February 14, 2006, 10:28 pm

I’ve travelled extensively in Europe, although not in recent years. Still, I’ve photographed anti-semitic graffiti in Italy, witnessed British bigotry toward Asians of all types, and have European parents, friends and family. Europe has tended to be a xenophobic and tribal society, historically, which I acknowledge.

A more measured response was called for than was given. Murder and mayhem are simply not appropriate responses to offensive speech. Rather than encourage diversity of thought, these actions simply create a climate of fear and mistrust.

My best wishes to you also.

• shango February 15, 2006, 9:59 am

To the Muslim Scholar:
    Perhaps you should visit supposedly Muslim states or regions (Especially in North Africa)and see how immigrants are treated.
    I am from West Africa (Black), we are treated as inhuman as you can imagine.

• Alec February 15, 2006, 4:05 pm

I think Kinsella has something to hide. Certainly smells like it to me.

• Mitch Brisebois February 15, 2006, 5:06 pm

Alec – just wanted to say I’m impressed by your thoughts on this. It’s sad to say – but you are courageous to express your views. In 2006 you shouldn’t have to be. To the Muslim Scholar – you are correct – it’s not about the cartoons. But why is the predomimant face of Islam “Incite” instead of “Insight”?

Speaking of intolerance… what’s your take on Warren Kinsella’s blogger lawsuit??? I wish Mark well!

Mitch

• Alec February 15, 2006, 8:21 pm

I don’t agree with a lot of David Warren’s writings, but this is worth reading.