ViaTalk Offers Free Gas Cards

VoIP provider ViaTalk is offering $20 in free gas to anyone who signs up for a two year term. The company is also contributing 5% of revenue for Hurricane Katrina relief.

The press release also mentions that CEO Brendon Brader drives a Hummer H2 licensed as ‘1 MPG’.  Apparently Mr. Brader lives in an irony free zone… He could do more for the environment and hurricane relief by selling that gas guzzling obscenity, and donating the funds.

• James September 6, 2005, 12:55 pm

"SUV" should stand for "Surprising Unintended consequence
    Vehicle". The SUV phenomenon is a textbook example of unintended
    consequences caused by laws that try to control peoples' economic
    behaviour. It is the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency)
    laws that mandate small cars. Is it really so surprising that
    people will buy trucks once their personal safety in cars has
    been mitigated by the federal government? Is the answer to pass
    laws about owning trucks, then? What about the unintended
    consequences of *that*? Pass some more laws? And then after
    *that*?
    Is the final answer iron-clad totalitarianism? How well do we see
    *that* working in the world for protecting the well-being of
    people and the environment (totalitarian countries have the worst
    environmental records on Earth)?

• James September 6, 2005, 4:45 pm

I’m reminded how, when I moved to the states, I got my credit
    (Visa) card from the local supermarket, while buying (some of)
    my groceries at the corner gas station. I reflected that if the
    bank would give me coupons for gasoline, the circle would be
    complete…

• Randy Charles Morin September 6, 2005, 4:55 pm

I suspect he gets a lot of publicity out of the Hummer. Not to mention fun. I think we should all do what we can for the environment and Katrina relief, but isn’t there a balance that includes living? I drive a 28′ motorhome. The price of gas and environmental concerns didn’t stop me from taking the kids to Marineland and camping this last weekend. And while I consumed more gas than most, I ran 20k+ ads for Red Cross Katrina relief. We can’t just stop living because of strict morals. Otherwise, where would babies come from?

• Alec September 6, 2005, 5:24 pm

James, I think if your argument is that being safe means driving a larger vehicle, there are plenty of lesser conveyances that will qualify. A Hummer isn’t an ordinary “truck”.

As for publicity and fun, well, global warming has been cited as one of the factors around this year’s nutso hurricane season. I see nothing wrong with driving a motorhome to go camping for the weekend, Randy. But I differ on a Hummer. Sure, it’s cool, and it’s fun… and it’s a disaster when ordinary people buy them to make trips to the grocery store.

• Randy Charles Morin September 7, 2005, 4:10 pm

Alec, OK you’ve convinced me. I’ll use the Saturn instead of the motorhome when making trips to the grocery store :)

• Alec September 7, 2005, 4:55 pm

Glad to see you doing your part for the environment… 8)